Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some exceptional music

A few days ago, I bought myself a double CD reissue of Sonny Rollins' "A Night at the Village Vanguard". I used to have these recordings on an old cassette tape, but hadn't listened to them for a few years, so I was curious to see what it'd be like to listen again. I knew that it was the kind of music that really made it for me, but I couldn't remember quite why.
Well, when I put the CD on, it was clear right away what made it so distinctive and good: the energy and inventiveness, and a supernatural balance between the rythmic precision and playing with total abandon. And this was 1957! The sound of the recording isn't very good at all. But the way Sonny plays is so incredible that his sound just burns through the "fog". I can't help but ask myself how it's possible to be able to convey such an impression of intensity, what's more through improvised music. How do they do it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are some of your other favs in music these days?
I'm very into downtempo nujazz: like Morcheeba, Mo' horizons, anything from Hotel Costes.
Also very into Brazilian contemp stuff: eg. Bossacucanova-awesome album, zuco103, Celso Fonseca

Anonymous said...

Hi Juan,

My english is not as rich as yours, but I hope you'll understand the few things I have to tell you.

I'm really impressionnated about your blog. It is really pleasant to discover you also by the way of the net, and a pleasure to read you.

I don't know the main artists - musicians, groups - except some names, you are writting about. Well, it gives me the craving (I've found it in the dictionnary) for dicovering those musics. Would you make a medley for me, or chose the one you think i'm ready to hear (you know my brain is not very developped and that until now, i've always understood things souding like "tcha ka boum".

By the way, i've started the special work with the eyes you told me 3 months ago. I'm waiting for the results, i'll tell you.

See you soon.

With love

PatPat